Obtaining a Green Card through Investment

The United States is an attractive place for many entrepreneurs and offers significant opportunities that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. Fortunately for immigrant-investors who wish to enter the United States, the Federal Government has established the EB-5 visa, which has made it possible for immigrants to obtain a green card (permanent resident status) by investing into a United States commercial enterprise. The information below is designed to answer some basic questions about how foreign nationals can become permanent residents through investing in the U.S. in one category called EB-5. It is also referred to as the investor’s visa,entrepreneurs for employment creation. There are other categories for USA Immigration for investors. One is the multinational executive or manager. For more information or for answers to specific questions regarding your situation, call our office today.

Who is Eligible for a Green Card through Investment?

Individuals are eligible to obtain permanent resident status through investment if they have an approved Form I-526, are admissible to the U.S., and an immigrant visa is immediately available. The source of the funds  to be used must be well-documented and must be shown by a trail from legal sources. Money can be a gift from relative, an inheritance, or from successful savings or sale of properties.

How Much do I Have to Invest to Obtain a Green Card?

Individuals must invest at least $1,000,000 into a United States enterprise or $500,000 into a targeted employment area, or $500,000.000 in an approved project.  In addition, the investment must create or preserve at least 10 full-time jobs within two years (in most circumstances).

What is the Application Process for an EB-5 Visa?

There is an initial application to a specialized U.S. Immigration office which specializes in investor cases. After an approval at that office, the next step depends on whether the client is currently living in the United States in a a legal status or living outside of the United States. For individuals living outside of the country, one can become a permanent resident through consular processing, which involves the National Visa Center, Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in your home country working with the Department of State to issue an immigrant visa. On the other hand, if  one is currently living in the United States, one will need to pursue an adjustment of status by filing an I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residency and Adjust Status and other related forms after  the Form I-526 is approved and an immigrant visa availability is confirmed.

Can Family Members of Immigrant-Investors Obtain Permanent Residence?

Spouses and unmarried children who are under 21 of an immigrant-investor are also eligible for permanent resident status.

Do I Need a Lawyer to Petition for an EB-5 Visa?

There is no rule requiring people who wish to obtain permanent residence to consult with an attorney. However, Immigration law is so complicated that it would be suicide not to have an experienced attorney handling the case.

Call the Law Offices of Alex T. Barak Today to Speak with a Hollywood Immigration Attorney

If you are considering obtaining a green card through investment into the United States, you should speak with an attorney before filing any paperwork with the USCIS. A skilled Hollywood Immigration lawyer can help identify which program is the best fit for your situation and can also ensure that the process goes as smoothly as possible. To schedule a free consultation with Alex T. Barak, call our office today at (954) 399-7778.