How Long Will My Visa Allow Me To Stay In The U.S.?

If you want to apply for an investment visa or business visa, it is of course important to apply for the visa that is appropriate for your particular purpose for being in the United States. Another consideration is how long your visa will allow you to stay in the U.S. lawfully. The following is some information about the periods of stay for certain types of visas.

E1 Visa — Commonly known as a “Treaty Trader” visa, the E1 is a nonimmigrant visa that allows certain qualified individuals to enter the U.S. to conduct international trade. Dependent family members may also accompany you. An initial E1 visa is approved for two years at the most. However, you can apply for an unlimited number of two-year extensions. You may not, however, use extensions of an E1 visa to stay in the U.S. indefinitely, as this visa is only approved for people who demonstrate that they plan to return to their home country when their business is complete.

E2 Visa — Called the “Treaty Investor” visa, this type of visa allows individuals to come to the U.S. to oversee investment in a business in the U.S. The investment must be substantial and must be your only reason for wanting to come to the U.S. LIke the E1 visa, you and your family can stay for up to two years with the opportunity to extend your stay. This is also a nonimmigrant visa that requires the intention to depart when your business is finished.

L1A Visa — If you work for a company that operates in both the U.S. and another qualifying country, an L1A visa can allow you to come and work in the U.S. location of the business. Your family members can also seek visas to come with you. If you are entering the U.S. to establish a brand new office location, your initial L1A visa will be good for one year. If you are coming to work at an existing U.S. location, you can get a visa approved for up to three years. In addition, two year extensions are available until you reach a limit of seven total years in the U.S.

It is highly important to understand the period of stay for your specific visa so that you know when to file for an extension when necessary and so that you avoid remaining in the U.S. unlawfully and facing potential consequences.

Consult With a Florida Immigration Attorney Today

If you want more information about investment or business visas or need assistance with an application or petition for a visa extension, the Law Offices of Alex T. Barak, P.A. is here to help you. We have helped many individuals and their families obtain the visa that was right for them, including visa extensions. If you would like more information about the services of our Florida immigration attorney, call us today at 954-289-6298 for help.