There are four common paths for applying for citizenship: citizenship through parents; military green card holders; citizenship through marriage; and citizenship through having green card of five years or more. For a green card based upon marriage, the time is shortened to three years. Those who owe taxes or failed to pay taxes, or who have lived outside the USA a large amount of time, or have been arrested, those who pay child support or alimony, or who do not speak English well, have the greatest need to have an attorney plan the entire case. Too many people go alone without an attorney and have caused themselves legal harm.

To obtain U.S. citizenship, called the naturalization process, an applicant must first have a green card. A green card holder can apply for U.S. citizenship either three years after becoming a permanent resident  by marriage, or five years after through all other means. A person granted asylum, then  a green card, gets a one year period of residency dated to one year before he/she is approved for  said green card.


The continuous residence requirement means that applicants must be physically present in the U.S. over 50% of the year and have no absence of six months or more. Not paying taxes, owing taxes, owing child support or alimony or any criminal arrest can prevent an approval of citizenship. Certain criminal cases, including non-traffic misdemeanors, can cause a green card holder to not only be denied citizenship, but to lose his/her green card, and be deported to their home country. The citizenship test, involving questions about U.S history, civics, and geography, as well as reading out loud one presented sentence and writing one sentence , is fairly easy to pass.

 Once granted naturalization, or U.S citizenship, the applicant can then obtain a U.S passport from a different government agency known as the U.S Passport Agency, a division of the U.S. Department of State.

Why Hire Us

  • Put your case in the hands of someone like me who fights for you every day and is well known to the people who will decide your case, at the Immigration Offices and in Immigration Court before Immigration Judges.
  • When it comes to immigration Attorneys, experience counts. I have over 37 years of experience
  • When you want results and personalized Immigration Law Services, call me, Alex Barak
  • I am the son of Immigrants and so were all my childhood friends. Helping immigrants is like helping family and friends. I will personally handle your case. You will not be passed onto a younger inexperienced attorney.
  • I handle all forms of Immigration law, including green card cases from family members such as wives, husbands, children, and parents, as well as business and investor type visas.
  • Keep in mind, if you try to handle an Immigration case by yourself, it is like performing heart surgery on yourself.

There are three things in life you should never take chances with:

  1. Your health
  2. Your safety
  3. Your immigration status

Contact Us About Your Case

Contact an experienced Immigration attorney,
Alex T. Barak can help you today.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience.